Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Fredrick Douglas Game: James Henley Thornwell

 This is short biography and the opinion on slavery of James Henley Thornwell. He was Presbyterian minister and theologian. He was seemingly more compassionate than many other slave owners. He carries a theological perspective informed by his past experiences. He had a strong belief in the system of the south because it had worked for him in his early life.


“My name is James Henley Thornwell. I am a South Carolina Theologian who currently serves as chair of the Columbia Theological Seminary. I was born in 1812 and died in 1862. When I was 8 my father died and my family lacked financial support. My cousin quickly stepped in to teach me and provide in what ways he could be only a few shades richer than my family. Nevertheless times came when we no longer needed his support because a wealthy patron came along to support my education. He was the man who showed me what southerns did for those poorer than themselves. The southern system always worked in my eyes. He desired I become a Lawyer like himself but I tearfully informed that I was called in a different direction: ministry. I deeply love him for he had saved me, but I knew I had to follow my ordained mission. I became a student at South Carolina College where I studied theology intently seeking to understand all God had to offer. A few years after graduation I came back and served as President of that very university. I also served as a professor at many schools lecturing about the mystery of the universe. My latest job has been working as Chair on the Board of Columbia Theological Seminary. 

Outside of my University work I have done many work within the Presbyterian Church. I was the youngest ever moderator of the Presbyterian General assembly. Serving in this position was a great honor as I had much control over the debate held in those assemblies. Many times discussion occurred about separating the northern and southern churches to better appease everyone. I was a fan of this idea so much that when It did occur I was a leading voice in the Presbyterian Church of the Confederate States. I also founded the Presbyterian review in 1849. I say all of this to show my great love for the church.


I know you are really hear to pursue my policy on slavery. My position is intricate but fair. Beginning with the foundation the Bible does not speak out against slavery therefore it must be allowed Biblically. Even the father of our very faith, Abraham, had his own slaves. Does God change his mind about such a thing? Certainly not. Abolition is unBiblical based on this logic. I am no buffoon who believes that these Africans are not men; men can not be owned but their labor can be. I have always believed that after the work day is through that these men can not be controlled. They should be free to educate themselves, socialize, and find God. You cannot own a man for they all belong to God but his labor can be owned because that is of this world. I have a Profound belief in slavery and its divine institution and believe that God ordered society. To seek to dismantle that order is to sin against God. God brings good for the Africans in many ways. They would not have been saved from damnation if not for their Christian masters. I believe in predestination and that God would place us where he wants us. Slaves are placed under the the control of their master for a reason. God in his divine will looked after me after my father died. Why if God brought me up from despair would he not put slaves in their own place to protect and care for them. To be clear I am not arguing for the mistreatment of slaves because they are humans like us but that they have been assigned a position by God."


Slave owner hold a great opportunity to convert those who are under their care. They should raise up slaves in the teaching of the Lord. I myself have gone great lengths to ministry and care for my slaves. It has come at great cost but it is worth more souls in heaven. I would like to remind you of God's divine order and his power to raise those in the dirt to serve him. Thank you for all your kindness.”



South Carolina Historical Magazine

The Journal of Southern History


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post: Privilege in Every Position

  We typically weigh pros and cons when making a decision but when dropped into a situation we don’t get a chance to do so. Rarely do we eve...